Monday, October 20, 2008

"Do You Know What You're Having?"

Well, we think it's a baby. We're hoping human. Why is that the number-one question everyone asks? They're probably mostly just making conversation, (I'm sure I've asked it a time or two myself) but it is odd to me, the intense fascination with the gender of babies in the womb. I suppose to some degree I share the fascination, and I will be finding out the answer to the $100,000 question on Wednesday (or, at least I will find out what the ultrasound technician's interpretation of what they see is), but after all, it is my child. I had a friend tell me that her friend was actually annoyed with her that the gender would be a surprise because she "wouldn't know what to get as a shower gift." I'm sorry, but since when is giving gifts primarily about the convenience of the gift-giver? And someone else brought up the point the other day that neutral colors are more practical because if you one day have a child of the opposite gender you'll be able to reuse. And guess what else? Babies don't care whether they look ridiculous so long as they're warm.

That being said, I will be FINDING OUT on Wednesday morning and I have to say I am excited, more for the opportunity to see our baby again than anything else. But who knows, maybe I'll be unable to resist the urge to go out and buy something pink or blue.

No comments: